The Power of Packard’s Six-Cylinder Series
This 1913 Packard Model 1-38 is the only known remaining Five-Passenger Phaeton vehicle built during the initial Model 1-38 production run.
Packard introduced the Model 1-38 in December 1912 for the 1913 model year, and it was the first Packard to feature a self-starting engine and the first to be equipped with left-hand drive.
The Model 1-38 was offered in 11 different body styles across three wheelbase lengths. The longest wheelbase, at 138 inches, was offered with the Five-Passenger Phaeton coachwork that measured an impressive total length of 179.25 inches.
The first-generation Model 1-38 Packards were powered by a brand-new L-head straight-six engine displacing 415 cubic inches and developing 60 horsepower.
The 1913 Packard Model 1-38 came equipped with a storm-tilt windshield, electric side lamps and headlamps, an electric/kerosene rear warning lamp, two side-mounted spare tires with rims, rear luggage rack, and tool kit. The 1-38 was also fitted with the first instrument-control board mounted on the steering column.
The Model 1-38 was part of the company’s first series of six-cylinder cars and marked a significant shift in the automotive industry from four-cylinder engines to more powerful six-cylinder engines.
1913 Packard Model 1-38 Five-Passenger Phaeton Specs:
- 415 cubic inch L-head straight-six engine
- 60 hp
- 138-inch wheelbase
- Self-starting engine
- Left-hand drive
- Steering column mounted instrument-control board
- Body No. 38556